As an ecommerce solopreneur, you know that growing your average order value (AOV) is one of the most powerful ways to scale your revenue. After all, if you can get customers to spend just a little bit more each time they purchase from you, those small increases really start to add up!
But how exactly do you go about boosting your AOV? It's not as simple as slapping a higher price tag on your products. You need a strategic, multi-pronged approach to gently guide customers into spending more per order through small frictionless upgrades.
In this comprehensive guide, I'll walk you through my top tips and tricks for incrementally raising your AOV. These are proven strategies any solopreneur can implement without a huge investment of time or money.
Let's dive in and unlock the secrets to skyrocketing order values!
Understand Your Customers' Purchase Motivations
Before you can effectively increase AOV, you need to understand what motivates your customers to buy from you in the first place. Ask yourself:
- Why do they choose my products over competitors'?
- What pain points or problems am I helping them solve?
- How can I provide more value through that lens?
Really get clear on who your ideal customers are and what drives their purchasing decisions. This will allow you to identify strategic upsell opportunities that align with their motivations.
For example, if customers buy from you because they want high-quality, durable products, you could create upsell offers for extended warranties or care packages. If they value convenience, you could offer faster shipping options.
Put yourself in your customers' shoes to uncover what extra value you can provide. Their purchase motivations are the key to increasing AOV in a way that feels natural, not pushy.
Optimize Your Product Pricing Strategy
Take a hard look at how you're pricing your products. Leaving money on the table with your base pricing will waste potential AOV gains. Make sure you:
- Price based on value, not cost - Don't undervalue the benefits you provide customers.
- Experiment with different price points - Try raising prices incrementally to find the sweet spot.
- Use psychological pricing tricks - Just ending prices in .99 or .95 can boost conversions.
- Offer tiered pricing - Good, better, best product packages tap into the upsell effect.
- Bundle products - Force an AOV boost by selling items only as part of a kit.
- Run promotions - Strategic sales prompt bigger one-time purchases from customers.
Get strategic with your pricing structure to naturally prompt customers to spend more. You have more psychological leverage than you think!
For example, a handmade candle solopreneur could offer a single candle for $20, a set of 3 for $55, and a set of 5 with candle holders for $95. The tiered pricing optimizes AOV.
Implement Post-Purchase Upsells
One of the easiest ways to increase order value is through post-purchase upsells on your checkout page and order confirmation pages. Think of this as the "Would you like fries with that?" of ecommerce.
A few tips for maximizing upsell success:
- Surface complementary products - If someone buys X, recommend Y to go with it.
- Use smart just-in-time offers - For shipping offers, recommend faster speeds right before they pick their delivery option.
- Utilize urgency messaging - "Add this protection plan in the next 20 minutes and save 10%!"
- Make it frictionless - Pre-check upgrade boxes or use one-click add-ons so purchasing is seamless.
- Test different offers - See which upsells convert best for your business.
Post-purchase is the perfect time to offer upgrades since customers are already primed to spend. The key is presenting relevant, high-value recommendations.
For example, if someone purchases a new bicycle, you could upsell them on biking accessories like helmets and bike locks. The complementary products increase AOV while also being useful for the customer.
Leverage Free Shipping & Minimum Orders
Free shipping is hugely appealing to customers. In fact, some studies show close to 90% of shoppers say free shipping impacts their purchase decision.
You can use this to your AOV advantage by:
- Offering free shipping at a reasonable order value threshold like $50
- Setting a high free shipping minimum order value of $100+
- Providing tiered free shipping like $5 on orders <$50, free on orders $50+
- Making shipping a standalone upsell by keeping base prices low
Structure your shipping costs and minimums strategically to encourage customers to spend more per order to qualify for your free shipping deal.
Just be sure to promote the threshold prominently throughout your site - reminding customers how much more they need to spend to get free shipping can be an effective nudge.
For example, a fashion solopreneur could set a $75 minimum for free shipping and showcase messaging like "Spend $20 more for free shipping!" This subtly guides customers toward a higher AOV.
Promote Larger Format/Quantity Options
You can also boost AOV simply by promoting larger versions or higher quantities of products customers are already buying from you. Some ideas:
- Spotlight bulk savings like "Buy 3, get 10% off!"
- Show customers the $/unit to demonstrate the better value of larger sizes
- Make larger or multi-packs the default selection, with smaller sizes as optional downgrades
- Share how popular combo packs or bundles are to influence purchase decisions
The key is making larger formats feel like a normal and smart choice for customers. Help them understand the built-in value of buying more in one go.
For example, a snacks solopreneur could heavily advertise family-sized packages of cookies while listing single-servings as secondary options. This steers customers toward a naturally higher AOV.
Skyrocket your AOV with AI Explore Prooftiles
Suggest One-Time Add-Ons & Accessories
Many solopreneurs are afraid of being too pushy with upsells. One easy way to gently boost AOV without feeling overly promotional is recommending one-time add-ons and accessories.
These could include things like:
- Gift wrapping/packaging
- Personalized engraving or monogramming
- Gift cards or gift receipt options
- Rush processing or expedited shipping
- Setup, installation, or instruction services
- Premium carrying cases or storage options
Because they are lower-costextras, customers don't feel pressured to accept the upsells. But they still increase order value in a frictionless way.
For example, a jewelry solopreneur could offer affordable add-ons like gift boxes, custom engraved bag tags, or rush shipping. These provide easy value-boosting upgrades.
Incentivize Higher Spend with Discounts
Everyone loves a discount! Strategic promotions and coupons are an excellent way to motivate customers to spend more in exchange for a percent or dollar amount off.
Some best practices for structuring promotions to lift AOV:
- Require a minimum purchase, like 20% off orders over $150
- Provide tiers of increasing discounts, like $20 off $100, $50 off $250, $100 off $400
- Limit-time sitewide sales for extra urgency, like 20% off everything
- Offer category-specific deals to promote more expensive products
- Give bigger discounts on bundled sets or combo purchases
The key is requiring increased spend to earn the best discount. Sweeten the deal for customers as order value rises.
For example, an apparel solopreneur could offer $15 off purchases over $100, $30 off over $200, and $50 off over $300. Bigger spending means bigger savings.
Sell Subscriptions & Replenishable Products
Recurring revenue is the holy grail of sustainable growth for solopreneurs. Subscriptions and consumable/replenishable products build that into your business model automatically.
You can encourage higher AOV by:
- Offering discounts or free gifts for opting into monthly subscriptions
- Bundling subscriptions with physical products to lift initial order value
- Charging slightly higher prices on replenishable components like filters or refills
- Automatically delivering subscription refill orders so customers don't run out
Recurring purchases keep customers continually spending with you. Plus, they make it easy to cross-sell additional products into ongoing deliveries.
For example, a coffee roaster could promote discounted monthly coffee subscriptions while upselling customers on higher-margin beans. The auto-delivery model provides an ongoing AOV boost.
Communicate the Full Customer Value
Sometimes customers simply don't understand the holistic value you provide with your products and services. They fixate on item prices rather than the complete experience.
You can remedy this through messaging that clearly communicates:
- How you make customers' lives easier
- The quality behind your products and sourcing
- All the perks and benefits included with purchase
- How you save customers time/money compared to alternatives
- The importance of supporting small businesses like yours
Reminding customers of the full value proposition encourages them to make purchases based on their complete return, not just item cost. It sets you up as a premium provider worth spending more on.
Some ways to reinforce your value:
- Showcase customer reviews praising quality and service
- Share behind-the-scenes content highlighting your expertise and processes
- Call out product certifications like "Made in USA" that justify higher pricing
- Send follow-up emails recapping how you solved customers' problems
- Spotlight your commitment to social/environmental causes
Communicate the holistic reason customers should buy from you above competitors, not just the individual product benefits. It shifts their mentality toward higher AOV.
For example, an artisanal food brand could showcase farmer partnerships and fair trade sourcing through packaging and web content. This helps customers see the value that justifies premium pricing.
Review Analytics for AOV Insights
Here is one of the most overlooked secrets to increasing AOV - simply looking at your existing order data for patterns and insights!
Your analytics likely already contain treasure troves of info to expose opportunities. Make sure you analyze metrics like:
- Your current average order value and revenue distribution
- Which products and categories drive higher vs. lower AOVs
- How AOVs differ across marketing channels and campaigns
- How cohorts like return customers, loyalty members, etc. impact AOV
- Seasonal or time-based fluctuations in order values
- Effects of past discounts, promotions, and sales on AOVs
See what your data reveals about current customer spending habits and where the biggest AOV wins may lie. The numbers don't lie!
For example, identifying that order values from social ads average 15% higher than email channel purchases provides a smart prioritization for marketing resources.
Skyrocket your AOV with AI Explore Prooftiles
Test and Iterate Strategically
Don't get overwhelmed trying to implement all these AOV-lifting tactics at once! Make incremental changes and run structured tests to identify what works for your business before scaling up.
Some tips for smart testing:
- Vary one variable at a time to isolate impact
- Wait 1-2 weeks minimum before assessing performance
- Use trustworthy analytics like Shopify or Google to measure effects
- Gut check results with your customer knowledge
- Double down on tests that move the AOV needle up
- Consider combinations for bigger effect sizes
Disciplined testing helps you dial in profitable AOV sweet spots instead of guessing. Plus, it builds customer data to fuel smarter decisions over time.
For example, a fitness solopreneur might first test a 15% cart abandonment discount, then a post-purchase upsell offer, then a combo of the two to identify an ideal incremental AOV boost.
Now you're armed with dozens of proven tactics and strategies for incrementally lifting your customer order values. The key is picking 1-2 to implement, track, and optimize before layering on more. Small gains add up over time into huge AOV and revenue increases.
Remember, raising your average order value drives directly to your business's bottom line. Even minor progress compounds dramatically across thousands of customers and orders. Plus, happier customers who see more value in their purchases become loyal brand advocates.
So try out a few of these tips that best fit your business model and customer base. With smart execution, you'll be skyrocketing AOV and profits in no time while building a thriving community around your brand.
Here's to more profitable, valuable orders driving sustainable solopreneur success! Let me know how these strategies work to increase your average order value.
Skyrocket your AOV with AI Explore Prooftiles